If your suggestion is plugin related on an existing plugin, please put the issue in on the plugin in gitlab.
Follow this check list BEFORE suggesting something:
- Is it a canon spell ? -> Do not suggest.
- Is it about a feature in a minecraft version we a not on yet? -> Do not suggest.
- Did you do research to see if it was even possible? -> If no, do not suggest.
- Is it something from the movies that you think would be cool that would take A LONG TIME TO CODE (ie: newt’s suitcase, moving stairs, jobs after graduation) -> Do not suggest, most likely we are already planning it and you’re just wasting time.
- Is it something like the forbidden spells, horcruxes, flying apparation, or animagus, that you think the server needs and doesn’t have -> If its in the movies in a large part, its not a suggestion, you just want it to happen. Suggestions are NEW ideas.
I’ll explain it in detail in the next section, but essentially to allow players to make their own discord servers for clubs, groups, whatever may need a collection of players, not just allow group chats.
Why it will be good:
You know me, creating suggestion posts after having a conversation at 3am. This is not my first post that came from this type of scenario and it won’t be the last. Likewise, since I did create that title at 3am I’ll explain what I mean. It is currently forbidden to make your own discord server for Knockturn related things, such as events or clubs. Group chats are allowed but they only allow 10 players at most, and having multiple group chats just splinters communication and community within clubs and other groups. Hypothetically, if I wanted to make a discord server for lets say a 18 player strong Quidditch team (like we had in the olden days - 3 strings), I would have to split it up into 3 separate group chats at least to have owners and players all together. This further increases if a club has different roles, like administrative roles or “important information” groups, etc etc. Important information is lost in messages and everyone forgets to check the pinned messages. Knockturn channels on the official discord will never satisfy the demands that other methods meet, unless dozens of tags and even more channels are created and constantly updated. Essentially my suggestion is to eliminate this hassle, and eliminate having to have people bridge communications between group 3 and group 1. It will just act as a larger group chat for clubs and groups, and be a removal of hassle.
How it will work in code/other functions
Nothing to code. However I do want to present some ideas;
- This has already been done for events by at least 4 different owners (that I can quickly think of), some of which didn’t even know this was a rule. (See America vs Europe Quidditch hosted by Max and Liam [I think he helped? Idk but he was there])
- If the concern is that there won’t be moderation, well there already isn’t official moderation in the existing club group chats. However if it is a concern, perhaps for organized clubs you could get a high ranking staff to be present to just make sure it follows basic decency rules (no harassment)? I don’t see this as necessary but if it’s a concern… I suppose it’s a possibility, but I really don’t think this should be necessary
- Ban mass advertising of servers. I am not aiming to suggest that people can advertise their personal servers. This suggestion is specifically for organized clubs and the only members of these servers will be people who would have otherwise been in a group chat anyway. People can’t mass message people for “Knockturn trading discord” but they can add you specifically to “Knockturn Drama Club” because you auditioned and got a part. There has to be pre-set Knockturn approved gathering, distributed privately, else consider it advertising (though almost certainly if someone were to advertise something maliciously, it almost certainly would have happened regardless of this rule).
Who do you imagine has time to implement this feature
[Next available time for someone to code is most likely close to december 2018 due to current plans. So do not follow up this post a week later asking why its not implemented even if the entire community thinks its a fabulous idea.]
All of the above.
*This idea is made independently and is not asking for special privileges for a certain group. I just like to be loud with my own ideas sometimes and I was told that it might be interpreted as a specific club having personal issues. No, this is just something I’ve wanted for 3 years.